Friday, March 10, 2006

OKAY! GAUGE...I get it now!

The other night I undone the hooded cardigan AGAIN! for the second time! The first time it looked too small(I had done a gauge and changed my needle size) But stupid me failed to notice that this pattern is a short style I like4 to wear my stuff a little longer, but I just followed along with the pattern and went with the measurement for the length and for me it was just wayyyyyyyy too short, soooooooooooooooo I undone it all the back and two front panels, now do not ask me why I then started again and used the size needles reccomended when I had already done a Guage and knew I had to use smaller needles??? So after I got the back and the two front panels done yet again! I looked at it and it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to wide so I undone it AGAIN! I did a Gauge again just to make sure and started yet agin this time it seems to be CORRECT!
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO for all you new knitters that do not understand GAUGE! Believe me you really need to do this if you don'y want to keep undoing all your hard work! I know some people just have a natural nack for this sort of thing, I guess I do not! I swear I will awlays do a GAUGE from now on!

5 comments:

Jeannie said...

what sweater pattern are you doing? I just finished the lion brand family of hooded sweater 1 for me. I like it but the neck is a little tight & the homespun yarn doesn't have much "give" to it.

ICJ said...

I was like you, Deborah! I have learned the hard way that using a gauge is not actually a waste of time but a TIME SAVER!

What pattern are you using for your hooded sweater? I cannot wait to see it finished!

Isabelle :)
http://tricotine.blogspot.com

kat said...

oh man, gauge will get you everytime! you can' even trust your gauge swatch but you have to keep checking as you go along...maybe this is why I have been knitting things that don't require gauge lately....

roseygirl said...

Jeannie and Isabelle, the pattern was in the Nov 2005 Creative Knitting Magazine, on page 20...The Glimmering Cropped Hoddie.

kat, I also tend to knit things that do not need a Guage LOL!

Judie said...

lol, Guage is the curse of every knitter's life! I feel your pain Deb! Sending healthy-finger thoughts, to give them strength! lol